, , ,

Re-purpose Coffee Cans in faux jute baskets!

Good morning :) Internet issues here... I'm stressed! wasted an hour of my time fixing what windows was suppose to update...
I should have finished this tutorial last night, but I didn't remember that it was not done til about 1 am :D

Anyways today I'm going to show you how to make faux Jute baskets, they are so cute!!

I drink a lot of coffee, more coffee than anyone should have in a day. Of course I go though alot of it, therefore with that comes a lot of coffee cans. I started saving them to put the lil ones crayons and pencils and whatever crafting supplies that need a container, I mean why buy it when you already have it right?
Well as practical as that was, I cant say it looked to cute sitting on her desk. First I covered them in fabric... they were cute but none of them really went with anything around the house.
I have these adorable Ikea baskets. I love them, they are made of rattan and I wanted something that looked organic and natural so that it would blend with the decor I'm trying to go with.

When I was younger I use to make Hemp bead necklaces and I use to love working with the rope. I could make anything with that rope, I even made purses with it. Well I figured, why not cover the cans in hemp?
Well I got on Amazon and started looking at the hemp ropes and none of them were the size that I wanted, then Amazon recommended Jute. I had no idea what jute was until I saw it. Now I am in love! I swear if I would cover everything I could with jute if hubby let me. Anyways enough rambling and lets get to work ;)




Materials:

Jute ( I got mine at Amazon, I covered these cans and I still have one whole roll left and I only spent $ 5 on both rolls)

Glue Gun/ Glue sticks 

Cans (any kind )


*Please read all directions before starting project*


1. Gather materials, remove can label.




2. Starting at the top of the can, start coiling while adding glue.Pull the rope tight as you coil it. You don't want it all lose and weird ( your thumbs might be sore after this). The top part requires you to add glue as you would normally, but on the sides you can bead it. Little drops spaced out so your glue can last longer.


3. Keep going around the can. Make sure that the layers of rope are as close as possible, as I added rope, while the glue is still hot I pushed the rope tight into the layer above it with a pencil eraser or you can just use your finger nail if you can stand the heat.


4. Keep going until the sides are completely covered. Its up to you if you want to do the bottom of the can and that's basically it. Now you have yourself an adorable container. It takes a bit of your time. I watched a movie while doing this. The time you spend doing this is worth it. I have these in our bathrooms and one in my kitchen. I can put anything in them. I've used all my coffee can and now I get to enjoy coffee while knowing that I can recycle the can after :)







I loved making these. Its very calming and tedious at the same time..lol Have fun!!









0 comments:

Post a Comment