, , , , , ,

Paper Mache Monogram Letters

This was really fun to do especially since I got to do it with our Little one. Well since I made the fabric covered monogram, I figured why cant I have a paper mache one?

Once again I got the tutorial for making the cereal box monogram from A Smith of All trades. The recipe I used for the glue is 5 parts water for every 1 part of flour
I put 5 cups of water in a pot, put one cup of flour in it and stirred it til it had the consistency of glue. let it cool down. Grab your newspapers dip it in your glue and go to town :) Once its all covered let it dry for 24 to 48 hours and add another layer of glue and newspaper. The more layers you put on it the harder the monogram will get. I only put 2 layers on mine. I will do a post when I paint this. I'm still trying to decide how I want to paint it. You can also use the rest of your glue for at least another 2 days. I put it in one of my re purposed pasta jars and put it in the fridge. Oh yeah if you live somewhere humid, add a table spoon of salt to your glue while making it to avoid mold.

4 comments:

  1. This is great, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final product is not as smooth as the ones at the craft store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With each layer you add, before you sit it down to dry grab a bit of glue and smooth it over the whole thing. Over the edges or any paper sticking out or wrinkled. Do this with each layer.

      Delete